Tuesday, December 6, 2011

You are dying too

One of the great truths of our lives is that we start dying on the day we are born.  This isn't something we like to think about and many of us live our lives as if we are going to live forever.  Steve Jobs recently died of a cancer that is very similar to mine and, in the commencement speech he gave in 2005 at Stanford, Steve said that every morning, he would look in the mirror and ask himself this question: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?"  If the answer to this question was no for too many days in a row, Steve knew he needed to change things.

The intent of this question was not to say that every day has to be something that is on your bucket list but you can't go on living day after day, doing things you would regret if it were your last day.  It is getting close to the end of the year and many people work for companies that have use it or lose it leave policies.  If you are donating vacation time back to your company you need to really be thinking about what your priorities are throughout the year.  It is certainly possible that you do get your greatest joy out of your work but if that is not the case, what are you doing NOT spending time away from work?

There are so many bumper stickers of the type "a bad day fishing is better that a good day at work" where you can replace fishing with hockey, skiing, golfing, or any other recreation.  The way I like to think about it is to ask myself the question "In one year, would I look back at today and be glad I went to work or would I look back and be glad I hit that 6" dump of powder at the ski slope?"  If the answer to this question too often is regret over going to work and you have the option, make sure you enjoy your life!  I enjoy my job most days but there are nowhere near as many days I look back upon with as much fondness as the days I take off with friends or family.

Life is short, often much shorter than we thought it was going to be.  In some ways, I am fortunate in that my cancer has made me focus much more on what is truly important in life.  Yes, I am dying and it may be my cancer might be that does me in.  You are dying as well.  Make sure you are living at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment