Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Surgery is on

Well, I am going to be NPO (no food by mouth) after midnight and all the plans appear to be in line for surgery tomorrow.  Dr. Boudreaux has been increasing my sandostatin drip steadily to try and saturate the receptors on my tumors to try and avert carcinoid crisis.  By the time anesthesia rolls around, I will have been on 500mg sandostatin/hr (normal is about 2.5mg/hr).

Dr. Boudreaux has another small surgery scheduled in the morning before me but is planning on me going down for surgery sometime between 7:30 and 10:00 in the morning on 11/15.  Dr. Wang has suggested putting in a G-J tube to try and ease nutrition after surgery and at home for the recovery but I am still uncertain about it.  I certainly don't want to be on 24/7 tube feeding and also know the G-J tube needs to be replaced about every 3 months.  As with the potential of an ostomy, it is not something I want but it may be something I have to have.

The kids have been doing well with all the support from friends and family and that makes it a relief to have them taken care of.  We still have a return flight on Thanksgiving morning and have plans on being able to make it.  If all goes well with surgery, this should be an achievable situation.  We have even had friends offer to have Thanksgiving dinner sitting in our fridge for when we arrive home and that is just awesome.

I am starting to crave various foods just like I did before the last surgery.  I have been thinking about hot wings, chips and queso dip, fried chicken, tacos, a nice steak, and, of course a turkey dinner with all the fixins.  I have at least been on a full liquids diet so that has at least had something to swallow and Steph has sneaked in some Popey's spicy mashed potatoes and gravy which does meet the full liquid requirements!

Thanks to all for the help and support we have received.  We only hope we could find some way to repay everyone for all they have done for us but know that is not always possible.  Hopefully, coming home somewhat healthier will be some sort of thank you!  For the next few days, the best place for update will be Steph's caring bridge site as I will be somewhat incommunicado...

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes ROn for a speedy recovery! We're all thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking and praying for you! You can do this! Dr. Boudreaux sounds like the best doc for the surgery, may God guide his hands! Attitude is everything, you will succeed!

    ReplyDelete