Saturday, August 2, 2014

M is for Mole and Memories

Two words this week and I hope I will be able to bring them together for you.

Mole.  I have one on the back of my neck and it has been there for as long as I can remember.  Occasionally, whomever is cutting my hair will catch it when cleaning up the back of my neck with a shaver but, most of the time, I have never thought much about it.

About 10 years ago or so, I remember one of my children pointing at it and asking what it was.  Without a second thought, I told them 'It is my button'.  Naturally they asked me what it did and I did not know what to say so I told them to push it and find out.  Of course, that is exactly what they did and I had to make a decision as to what the button did.

Well, the only thing that came to mind at the time was to make a noise so I just made some random (and loud) sound which surprised everyone, myself included.  Of course, as soon as their shock and laughter died down slightly, my button was pushed again and I made another, different, and louder sound.  Of course, now all the kids needed to get in on the action and I had yet another problem of continual pushing of the button and the associated noise.

Being quick thinking for one of the first times in my life, I let them know that the button only worked twice per child, every day or hour (memory fails me as to what the actual time limit was).  The button worked anywhere, be it at the dinner table, while fishing, sitting at church, or just relaxing on the couch.  I had to come up with different sounds, sometimes, looking like it was going to be quite loud and then just emitting a quiet beep or cough.  Other times, I would bray like a donkey at the dinner table, much to the dismay of my wife.

My kids don't push the button much anymore but Forrest still thinks of it every once in a while and pushes it just to hear what odd sound comes out of my mouth.  But they still remember the button.  They remember that as something special that they had with dad and with no one else.  My hope is that, 10 or 20 years from now, when they have their kids, they will find their 'button'.  It may not be something like the mole on the back of my neck or a mark on their leg but it will be something special just between them and their kids.

All those years from now, I hope that they remember dad and his button.  I hope that they create these special connections with their kids.  Money is always nice and makes living easier but nothing lasts and makes a mark like a memory.  They may not remember this exact memory but they will remember other things that we have done and experienced together.

Perhaps it will be that school day we played hooky together and spent the day in the powder or it may be the day we spent fishing together.  Perhaps it may even be a shared appreciation for horrible puns or math.  I don't know what it will but I want them to have a broad range of choices as to what stands out and what they look back on with fond appreciation.

1 comment:

  1. <3 I think your kids are going to have the BEST memories of you Ron. Hockey, cycling, snowboarding, adventure after adventure but mostly those wonderful Christmas lights and the way you have really worked to make sure they feel loved and they know how important they are to you. Your fight to stay here as long as possible so you can spend time with them is, I'm sure, indelibly etched in their psyche.
    Thank you for sharing this special memory.
    <3 Deann Pujol

    ReplyDelete