Monday, July 20, 2015

Prolonged recovery

Surgery was 6/11, 5 weeks ago and recovery is very slow.  After my surgeries in 2002, 2008, I was back to 100% 6 weeks after surgery and playing hockey.  The 2012 surgeries had 10 week recoveries and, after the second 2012 surgery, I went on a big ski trip, again running at 100% with no obvious problems.

This one is not like the others.  We are 6 weeks post surgery and I have successfully made a half mile walk but it was at my limit.  I still take (often twice) daily naps due to fatigue of recovery and think I have finally gotten through the water retention and associated swelling.

My weight currently is now about 143 which is 20 pounds less than I was 6 months ago.  I am eating as much as I can but my stomach has shrunk and volume is difficult so I am having to eat lots of small meals, kind of continual eating.  Regaining the weight and muscle mass is something I have to work at now.

How long will recovery be?  I have heard a rule of thumb that one should expect one week of recovery time for every hour of surgery.  This means I should be expecting about 14 weeks of recovery which puts me right at the start of September for a return to more normal behavior.  I think that that is probable but am thinking it may be a graduated return, starting at half time and working my way up to full time over a matter of weeks.

Today was a pretty good day and makes me think it is possible but I have bad days as well.  My arm is slowly strengthening but has a ways to go and the numbness and tingling is still there.  My walks are slowly lengthening and the speed is increasing.

First week of September is 12 weeks post surgery but I think it is doable.  This is indeed quite prolonged but, 6 weeks out, it looks possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment