Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Back to work part time

On Friday, 2/6, I went in to work to get my laptop fixed and had intended on staying just long enough to get it taken care of and then I was going to be out of there.  When I got to work, my badge was disabled so it was back out to pass and ID to get that resolved and then through the portals at Schriever.  Of course, I got to the room I work at and, again, my badge didn't work so back up to the badge office to get my access restored and I was finally at my desk.

On the 45 minute drive in, I thought I would just go ahead and start back to work half time because I can sit at a desk and be productive at work as easily as I can sit on the couch and watch TV.  I got to my desk and was able to contribute immediately on several items and that solidified my decision.  I got my laptop working and finished out my first half day at work.

This week has gone well so far but it is really quite stunning to me to see how much a simple 4 hour day takes out of me.  I come home and take a 1-2hr nap when possible but have had appointments almost every day this week after work so that has bitten into my nap time.  I also have an Octroscan scheduled for next week but was giving a small amount of tasking I can do from home and will capitalize on that opportunity as well as use some holiday hours.

It is incredibly rewarding to be back at work.  I am good at what I do and it feels wonderful to be able to use my talents once again.  I know that every day is not going to be rewarding and many are going to be drudgery but the once or twice a day where I can really help others and advance our project are soothing to my soul.

I am still not eating well.  I get my 2300 calories per day from TPN and then try to supplement that with another 500+ calories of a full liquid diet.  This usually amounts to something like orange juice for breakfast, ensure and a soda for lunch, and tomato soup and sweet tea for dinner.  This menu gives me about 650+ calories or so which is a good additional boost.  I still crave real food and every once in a while splurge with solids but I pay a price for it with an obstruction generally following that meal.  It works its way through eventually but it just takes a while.  I do have to say the buffalo wings on Sunday were very good!

I start the extra Lanrenotide tomorrow but still don't have the Afinitor scheduled yet.  I don't know how long it will take for the insurance company to approve but hope it won't be too long.  My local oncologist is a bit more concerned about side affects than Dr. Boudreaux but my TPN includes weekly monitoring of my metabolic system so we can keep a good eye on my kidneys and other functions.

I know I will have to return to full time disability for periods in the future such as the procedures in NOLA and a hoped for laparotomy sometime this summer but this is good for now.  I will enjoy my time in the real world and look forward to the point at which I can return to work full time and, perhaps, actually get to ski next year or play hockey again.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ron,
    I'm soooooo glad you are back at work! It is AMAZING how the opportunity to contribute to something ... anything always lifts spirits. :) I'm also so impressed that, despite the many obstacles you encountered in pursuit of the HUGE goal of makig it into work, that persevered and were successful! Conquering that badge authorization stuff was no mean feat!
    I hope and pray that full-time disability is in your WAY DISTANT future and that any and all obstructions stay far far away from you. <3
    You are always in our thoughts and prayers, take good care,
    Deann

    ReplyDelete