Monday, December 14, 2015

Christmas joy from friends and coworkers

All afternoon and evening, Stephanie had been frantically working on cleaning the house like she was expecting guests.  I knew we were expecting her boss and his wife for dinner next Monday so this seemed a bit premature.  Fortunately, the kids were helpful in doing some of vacuuming and cleaning.  Stephanie also made cookies and I could not fathom why since her party for work was Wednesday and she is very big on fresh cookies.

The doorbell rang three times tonight.  The first time was a delivery from UPS.  The second time, Steph grumbled about the UPS guy missing a package.  The third time was just after Forrest went out to the mailbox to get today's mail and I assumed he somehow locked himself out.  I then heard caroling and thought that it was a nice throwback and enjoyed listening to the song from my couch.

I then heard them coming inside the house and thought that was very odd until they came into the room where I was sitting and I saw familiar faces of my coworkers and friends.  Needless to say, I was very stunned. More than a dozen people got together to come to my house, just to sing me some carols and let me know that, although I am not at work, I am not forgotten.

They brought joy to this night and tears to my eyes.  I know I am loved but to see this sort of action from coworkers and friends just shook me to my core.  They brought along a stack of Christmas cards, signed from many at work who were unable to come and also a gift of a heated blanket so that I don't have to crank the heat up and sweat out everyone else in the room.

How do you repay this sort of kindness?  How you do tell people that they have given your soul new life through their gift of time and song? My only possible payment is to make my way through my current struggle and pass on the same kindness to others.  I am humbled.  For those, reading my blog, who are Christian, this is exactly what Christ meant when he said "For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in".

This Christmas, remember those who are sick.  Remember those who are hungry.  Remember those who have no place to live.  If you truly believe that there is a war on Christmas, the way to fight that war is not to complain about people saying 'Happy Holidays' but it is to remember and take care of those who are not as fortunate as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment