Monday, August 15, 2016

Perforations are tricksy they are...

After a week of decreasing output, things reversed themselves on the weekend and it is obvious that the perforation has not healed.  I spoke (texted) with Dr. Boudreaux this morning and he wants to delay surgery for a while to ensure that he does not create any more holes while trying to fix this one.  I don't know how long it will be but will be waiting another month to get a status.

While we wait, the perforation is doing less than 200ml/day which is not too bad and we are starting a second round of antibiotics to address the infection.  I start 250mg of Keflex 3x/day on Tuesday and hope that it takes care of the abscess.

We have increased the protein in my TPN to try and increase the healing and reduce the edema that I still have.  We have had to start doing an additional 500ml of saline/day to address dehydration and the protein in the TPN may help push the fluid out of the tissue and back into the veins.  If we can achieve that, fluid can then be addressed through diuretics and my unhappy kidneys.

Obviously, this delays recovery more and more.  I don't know what we would do if we didn't have such good health and disability insurance, not to mention a company that is just phenomenal.  Keep me up to date as to what is going on in your worlds and I will continue to update you as to what is going on in my little fishbowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment