Sunday, November 29, 2015

Back in the hospital again

Three hospitalizations in a month sets quite the record for me.  Early the week of Thanksgiving week, I started having issues with what appeared to be an obstruction.  I then went without eating from Tuesday afternoon through Thursday morning in an attempt to relieve the obstruction.  I ate Thanksgiving dinner with the family and got to enjoy one of the best turkey's I have ever eaten (excellent job Steph!) but food did not stay down and the obstruction was a given.

On Friday, we finally decided to go to the hospital and had no idea of the shooting in town and got a bit caught up in the hospital insanity that resulted from that event.  We finally got through the ER with a CT scan that showed anasarca in my abdomen.  The doctor felt that this probably was causing problems with blood flow and digestion in the intestines and we got moved into a hospital room late Friday night.

Since then, I have been sitting in a hospital room here in Colorado Springs, 'enjoying' a clear liquid diet, dreaming of some of that thanksgiving dinner I did eat.  We don't know much about what the future holds at this point.  The hospital doctors are hesitant to suggest anything and my doctors have limited availability because of the holiday weekend.

Clear liquids have done well today (I did vomit yesterday) and the cramping seems to have passed completely.  Passages appear to be opening so I hope to progress my diet soon but don't know when that may or may not occur.  The lack of seeing doctors has been frustrating but I know doctors are people too and need to spend time with their families as well.

This means that a return to work is obviously delayed as does any other return to anything appearing to be normal.  Fortunately, I am in Colorado Springs, close to friends and family and can see all of them easily.  It also makes things much easier on Stephanie and the kids.

I will update as I get more information but, for now, the hospital is where I will remain for the near future.

1 comment: