Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Surgery is planned!

I said this back in May of 2012 and November of 2012 and we are back here again.  Surgery is a GO!  I have been sitting on pins an needles since yesterday morning, both dreading and excited for a call from New Orleans.  Finally, at about 3:00, I got the call and they believe surgery is reasonable to get me eating again.  Interestingly, in May of 2012, we went to clinic the day after Memorial day just like we are doing again here is May of 2015.

We will be going to clinic on 5/26 at noon and will be admitted to the hospital after my appointment, preparing for surgery on the 27th.  As with prior surgeries, this caries a significant risk of carcinoid crisis but there are few better equipped to handle this reaction that Dr. Boudreaux.  I am sure there is a significant chance of losing some bowel because it is so scarred but, when all is said and done, I should be able to eat.

Starting to eat will come slowly because my intestines will not be used to large volumes of food and my stomach most certainly has shrunk some but I will eat normally again!  My food dreams will be addressed and I will be able to participate in so many social settings that revolve around food.  Right now, I would even look forward to some of the bone-in charcoal ribs that Rob DeLine made for a get together at his house years ago!

Long term plans?  Surgery on the 27th means that the first of August is 9 weeks off.  That will be my target for returning to normal life (hockey, work, and normal play).  Ski season is obviously in no danger and I am looking forward to making up for the season truncation I experienced this year.

Metron graced me with an Amazon gift card and I have over a dozen books to read which will fill up my time.  I appreciate all the book recommendations from everyone and certainly have a variety of new reading to do.  One (H is for Hawk) was just finished and is a book that I would not have picked up without a recommendation and was a good read.

2 comments:

  1. There are a couple of downsides to this date. First, Forrest's 8th grade continuation is on the 26th and we will miss it. Second, both Riley and River will be taking Calculus in the fall and I had planned on doing an initial teaching of calculus to them this summer and this will bite into that plan. I have been waiting 17 years to teach them Calculus and having to delay this is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the first parent I've met who is disappointed NOT to be teaching their kids calculus! You go Ron!

    ReplyDelete