Friday, May 29, 2015

Two days down, five to go

We slowly advance time here in NOLA and it never seems to advance fast enough.  We got moved across the building to one of the new larger rooms which is wonderful.  The other rooms were renovated but there was no room for Stephanie to be with me, especially when she stays the night.  We think we are actually in the very same room that we occupied when we came to NOLA for the first time ever back in April of 2012.

I still don't have an NG tube and, as long as I don't throw up, Dr. Boudreaux is going to delay giving me one.  My bowels are continuing to decompress from the bottom as more and more diarrhea is expelled and I don't add anything other than gastric juices to the top end.  Hopefully I will be able to delay the NG tube until the day of surgery and not have to get one inserted while conscious nor have more time with it in me than necessary.

On the negative side, he is concerned about the fluid on my lungs and wants me to be as strong as possible.  So, we drained fluid on Thursday and added a chest tube to continue draining the lung.  The draining was done under a vacuum and caused my shoulder to tense up worse than I can remember.  The pain scale that they ask you to use is 0 (no pain) to 10 (worst pain you can imagine) and this easily hit a 9 for a period of time before backing off to a 7.  They then gave me some toradol which brought it down to a 5.

Of course, then night came and I needed to figure out how to sleep with this thing in my back.  Sleeping on my left side causes my shoulder to hurt, sleeping on my back causes the tube to be uncomfortable and continue to hurt.  My right side is difficult and requires careful positioning to avoid laying on hard plastic valves.

Sleep would not come, even with my 10:30 toradol shot.  Finally, at 2am, I asked for something stronger and they paged the doctor.  He gave me a 10/325 percocet which is what I take at home and I was able to get some sleep with that in my system.  Percocet works but it is a narcotic and the big downside to narcotics for me is that it slows the digestive tract and that is one of the last things we want at this point.  We want my gut to be as active as possible so that it drains and empties, decompressing before surgery.

I am getting TPN again at about 2200 calories/day and they are giving me daily growth hormone.  Dr. Boudreaux will also be gave me some additional IV iron to help the EPO increase my hemoglobin production, again making me stronger for the surgery.  Last I heard, my hemoglobin was in the area of 10+ when it is desired to be much higher.  Hopefully the iron ignites with the EPO and gets my bone marrow hopping.

Just a couple more days is what I keep saying.  It is getting closer and I will get the surgery.  I know the days after the surgery will be even more difficult but the end will be in sight.  I have already spoken with Steph about what I want to do WRT food after surgery.  I want my traditional Popeye's mashed potatoes and gravy as soon as I can start taking solids along with one or two pieces of crispy dark meat chicken.  I also would like a Pizza Hut personal Pan Pizza Supreme if she can find one because they are just the right size for my appetite and would taste delicious.

In 2012, I did not plan where to eat when I got out because I did not really know the area nor did I know what my appetite would be.  I know now that my appetite will be limited so I can't eat too much but I want something that I have been craving for a while.  It will sound disgusting to many but I want some McDonalds french fries.  You know the ones, just out of the hot oil, crispy, golden brown with a good dusting of salt.  I may want a bit more so I may just get a cheese burger.  I would like a Big Mac but my appetite will not be equal to the task.

On a very positive note, Forrest graduated 8th grade yesterday and we got to watch it through the wonders of Skype.  At times I feel like that scene from the Incredibles (see this scene at about 50 seconds on) where Bob is complaining about celebrating mediocrity but I am glad to see my son move on from middle school to high school.  River (my daughter), took a wonderful picture of Forrest with his big brother.  Both will be freshmen next year, Riley at CSU and Forrest at Discovery Canyon.  I am very proud of both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment