Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Ready, Set, Delay...

I don't know if you can imagine how hard it is to write this post.  We arrived in NOLA on 5/25, expecting to have surgery on 5/27.  That was then delayed to tomorrow, 6/3 so that I could get stronger before the procedure.  Well, I am not stronger enough yet and we are delaying once more.

Right now, the target is Monday June 8th and there are a number of reasons.  First, my prealbumen blood level is lower than desired.  Prealbumen is a measure of nutritional sufficiency and mine is not as high as they want prior to surgery.  Second, I am severely anemic right now with a hemoglobin level of 8.  I don't know how it dropped so crazy low but that is a very bad place to be in and they are working hard to raise that with EPO shots and iron infusions.  Finally, I have developed a pneumothorax.

You may remember my post about putting in the chest tube to drain the pleural efflusion.  Well, it is draining but, at the same time, a non trivial amount of air has taken its place and this is what is known as a pneumothorax.  Today, they swapped out the old hose for a larger one, hoping this would help and they are going to have a cardio-thorasic surgeon look at the x-rays to see if there is something he can do to help.

For me, all this means is yet another delay.  Five more days.  The days keep getting tacked on and I don't know when it will end.  We could get to Monday and he could still want to delay again.  I know he is weighing the risk of surgery versus the potential with an improvement in health but I am having a hard time handling it.

Tonight, I understand I will finally be getting the NG tube.  I have dreaded this but he will be giving some additional meds to help me through the procedure of getting it inserted while conscious.  I don't know what other violations I will be experiencing over the next few days but a lot can happen in 5 days that I just can't imagine.

Five more days.  Stephanie keeps me upright while I am here struggling and the thought of returning to my kids must be kept up front of my mind as well.  I will make it but it is getting exceptionally difficult.  I appreciate all the emails of support and well wishes and hope I can bring better news on Sunday night.

2 comments:

  1. Stay strong Ron, I know you will with Steph by your side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers for you to possess the strength to get through Monday.

    ReplyDelete